Friday, October 9, 2009

girlswithgame profile - meet Central Coast Mariner Michelle Heyman

She only played three games for Sydney FC last season, but Michelle Heyman made them remember her all too well thanks to her two goals in Round 1 against the Sky Blues. She's been thrust into the spotlight, but the 21-year-old kindly took some time out for girlswithgame to let us know a bit more about the Mariners and her own soccer career.

WHY MICHELLE HEYMAN IS MAKING NEWS
So, a brace in the first game to beat your old team Sydney FC, you must be pretty happy with that to start the season? I'm very happy with the start of the season. We have been training really hard for this season and it has paid off.
For those who weren’t there, talk us through the goals... Haha, well the first goal was in the 12th min, it was a cross by Samather Spackman and all I had to do was get to the ball first so I could put it away. The second goal was a bit different, it was in the 64th min when Jenna Kingsley put a through ball to me. So I recieved the ball and started heading towards the goal. All I had to do was get past the Sydney defender, so I thought I would put her onto her left, and I watched her feet start to come to the left so I turned back on my right, then she was wrong footed. I got around her and then it was just the keeper to beat. I put it away in the bottom left corner :)
Before the game, how did you think the Mariners would go this season? And now, has it changed? I thought that we could win. And I think we have a really good chance if we can stay focused for the whole 90 mins.
The three American imports you have seemed to make an immediate impact, tell us a bit about them? The girls fit in really well. They are all funny girls who love to play soccer. They have tought us a lot in the time they have been here. We will learn a lot from them as we are a young team. All I can say, is that they are very talented players, and I'm thankfull that they have joined our team.
You play club football for the Illawarra Stingrays with five of your Mariners team-mates, including captain Caitlin Cooper, did that make playing for the Central Coast an easy decision? It made it a very easy decision, and yes we all wanted to be Mariners this season.
What do you hope to achieve this season with the Mariners? I want to be in the top four, hopefully the grandfinal. And to be asked to go to an Australian camp as well.
What do you do outside football? I like to hang out with my friends, go to the beach and movies.

ALL ABOUT THE GAME
When did you first start playing football? I was 12 years old
Did you play any other sports when you were growing up? I played touch football, rugby union and softball.
Why did you decide to stick with football? Because I really enjoy playing football, and I have met so many great people from playing this sport.
What's the best memory of your junior career? Well I only played soccer for fun when I was younger, but if I have to say then maybe scoring the winning goal in the under 15's grandfinal, as I was the only girl in the comp.
Who are your role-models and favourite players? I look up to all of the girls that I have played with. They have all done so well in there soccer careers. I look up to Kelly Gobelowski in the Mariners because she has a lot of experience and has tought me alot. Also I look up to Michelle Carney from the Stingrays as I have been playing with her for two years and I have learnt so much off her. Thanks girls.

BEHIND THE BALL
Do you have a special routine you go through on match day? Food, superstitions? Well I have to have clean boots and shaved legs.
What's your fitness and training regime like? How much and what type of things do you do? We do a recovery session on Mondays, Wednesday is Fitness for two hours, Thursday is skills, plays, and more team work. This also is a two hour session. Some Saturday's we also have a bonding session.
What about gear tips, anything particular to look for when choosing boots, shinpads and gloves? I dont really have tips but I only wear ADIDAS boots.

THE OTHER STUFF
What's the best thing about being a girl that plays football?
That football girls know how to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment